The agenda for our May 4-5 conference has now been posted to the GPOP website. In keeping with the CICan conference theme of “Inclusion”, we are pleased to have Sharon Thira, Director, Indigenous Learning & Engagement at New Brunswick Community College, kick things off on Saturday evening with her keynote address, Singing your Song of Peace, followed by a welcome reception. Sunday morning will be filled with more networking, facilitated discussions, breakout sessions and award presentation before wrapping things up in time for the start of the CICan conference. Your Board of Directors looks forward to welcoming members who will be joining us in Niagara Falls. Be sure to follow us on Twitter @CICanGPOP as we’ll be tweeting out updates and photos of our time together!
Kyle Mayer, Marketing Manager, CoreSolutions Software Inc. …
“We know that sometimes finding meeting times for multiple people, particularly across multiple organizations or email systems can be like trying to herd cats. So, we’ve developed a simple system called CoreUM that simplifies this process into two steps.”
CoreUM is a better way to:
- Organize any event or meeting with multiple attendees
- Coordinate meetings of board members
- Confirm attendance for committee meetings
- Conduct and record simple polls/votes among multiple people
- We want to give you 30 days to try the VIP subscription of CoreUM for free. Simply click the link and create an account to get started.
Thursday, February 28th is the deadline for GPOP award nominations and grant applications. Click on the links below for full details of nomination criteria and grant application form. Don’t miss this opportunity to nominate a deserving colleague or apply for a grant to support your attendance at the upcoming GPOP conference in Niagara Falls, May 4-5, 2019.
Join us for the GPOP Welcome & Networking Reception in the Milestone’s private dining room in the Marriott on the Falls hotel on Saturday, May 4, 2019 from 6:45 pm to 8:30 pm (immediately following the keynote speaker).
Directions: The reception is across the street from the Scotiabank Convention Centre. Exit onto Stanley Avenue and turn immediately down Livingstone Street.
HOLD THE DATE: GPOP 2019 ┃May 4-5, 2019 ┃Niagara Falls, ON
We know it may seem like a long way away with the snow flying and the holidays around the corner, but before we know it spring will be here, and so will GPOP 2019!
The format will be slightly different this year, so please take that into consideration when finalizing your travel arrangements:
- Saturday May 4th – 5:00 p.m. GPOP 2019 starts with a welcome reception and keynote presentation (food and refreshments will be available).
- Sunday, May 5th – 7:30 a.m. GPOP 2019 continues with breakfast, followed by a morning of networking, breakout discussions, GPOP Awards, and lunch. We plan to adjourn by 12:30 p.m.
- CICan will open its annual conference at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 5th.
GPOP 2019 will focus on the themes of Inclusion, Balance and Harmony – both professionally and personally. Our keynote, Sharon Thira, will give an interactive presentation on Indigenous culture, history and learning. We are hopeful her talk will provide context, set the tone, and give us a foundation for our further discussions throughout the weekend. By the end of GPOP 2019, we guarantee you will be re-energized and equipped with new and innovative ideas and solutions to bring back to your College.
Updates will be posted on gpop.ca – so watch this space!
pssst…The hotel block is now open… https://conference.collegesinstitutes.ca/travel/. We look forward to seeing you on Saturday, May 4th at GPOP 2019 at the Falls!
GPOP held their first-ever virtual Annual General Meeting on May 31, 2018, expertly chaired by outgoing Board Chair, Jenny Forestell. Members in attendance approved minutes, received committee reports and approved the 2018-2019 Board and Committee structure. They also revised the current By-laws, mainly to expand the membership clause to include people who report or work directly with the chief executive officer (CEO) or Vice President, who has a Board support function, of any Canadian college, institution, cégep, university, or other organization specifically in the Canadian post-secondary education sector. This change makes the membership criteria less restrictive and will contribute to a more diverse and inclusive membership. The signed and approved 2018 By-laws are now available on the GPOP website. Our collective thanks and appreciation to Jenny for her strong leadership over the past two years and a warm welcome to Nicole Blanchette who now steps into the Board Chair role.
Attendees at last week’s GPOP conference were treated to an excellent presentation on post-secondary governance. Natasha Himer, governance lawyer with WATSON Inc. spoke about Keeping Pace with Evolving Governance Standards: Exploring Changes in Post-Secondary Governance and the Relevance for CICan Members. Natasha generously shared her time and extensive knowledge of emerging governance issues with the group and kindly agreed to share her PowerPoint presentation for the benefit of all our members. You’ll find it on the gpop.ca website under Resources/Presentations (password protected).
We look forward to seeing you in Victoria for the CICan:GPOP Conference! Getting away from the office to attend a conference is often difficult, but rewarding. Whether you are only attending the GPOP session, or the entire CICan Conference, we have some suggestions that might help you enjoy your trip.
Before you Leave …
- Bring an umbrella
- Remember chargers for all your electronic devices
- When you think of it – pack it
- Slip extra business cards in your bag
- Water your plants (no one is going to remember to do that for you)
- Set your Out of Office, Voicemail, etc.
- Leave your hotel, flight and other details with your colleagues
- Take time to review the conference agenda:
Once you are in Victoria ….
- Arriving by air? It will take you approximately 30 mins to get into the city. Click this link for taxi and shuttle information: http://www.victoriaairport.com/taxi-and-shuttle
- Looking for local information? The Camosun College organizing committee has put together some helpful information at the following link: http://camosun.ca.libguides.com/Cican2018
- What to wear? Bring business clothes for the GPOP and CICan conference sessions, business casual for the GPOP and CICan opening reception, and if you are attending the CICan closing gala, the dress code is “Elegantly Relaxed”.
- Relax, learn, connect, enjoy!
Join us as we launch the weekend with a welcome reception
All GPOP members attending this year’s conference are encouraged to kick off the weekend in a fun and relaxed atmosphere with our opening reception. Enjoy appetizers, networking and views of Victoria’s beautiful Inner Harbour as you re-connect with colleagues and welcome new members. Cost of the evening is included in your GPOP registration fee. Dress is business casual.
Saturday, April 28th ┃5:30 – 7:30 p.m. ┃Finn’s Restaurant, 1208 Wharf Street, Victoria