Members are encouraged to regularly log in to this section of GPOP’s website. You’ll find links embedded below for a number of associations, conferences and resource materials.
Let us know, too, of additional resources and sites you think your peers may find relevant. Please use the REPLY option at the base of your screen to offer such recommendations.
2020 Conferences & PD Opportunities (click on bold items for links to event information)
Note: Due to COVID-19, many of these conferences have been cancelled or postponed.
- March 13-15, 2020, San Diego, CA: National Association of Presidential Assistants in Higher Education (NAPAHE)
- March 16-18, 2020, Las Vegas, NV : International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP) CAPstone conference
- April 3-5, 2020, Washington, DC: Association for Governing Boards (AGB) Workshop for Board Professionals
- April 5-7, 2020, Washington, DC: Association for Governing Boards (AGB) National Conference on Trusteeship
- May 2-3, 2020, Montreal, QC: CICan:GPOP Conference
- May 3-5, 2020, Montreal, QC: Colleges & Institutes Canada (CICan) Annual Conference
- May 30-31, 2020, Edmonton, AB: IAAP Canadian Education Conference (CEC)
- July 17-21, 2020, Orlando, FL: International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP) Summit 2020
FOR BOARD PROFESSIONALShttps://www.collegesinstitutes.ca/events/
- Association of Governing Boards (AGB) Washington, DC
- Crown Agencies and Board Resourcing Office (CABRO) British Columbia
- College Centre of Board Excellence Ontario-based, with educational opportunities for peers across the country
- ICD; Institute of Corporate Directors “the only globally recognized director organization in Canada”, with 9,000+ members and 11 chapters
- Governance Professionals of Canada “the voice of corporate secretaries and governance professionals in Canada;” based in Toronto
- The College Centre of Board Excellence Manual for Effective College Governance
- http://www.strive.com/email-newsletters/default.aspx: this is a free link to subscribe to governance articles and helpful tips for boards by governance experts STRIVE! The articles and tips are useful and current.
- CABRO Responsibilities and Best Practices
- Parliamentarian Eli Mina
- Office of the Auditor General of BC (OAGBC): Publications – Governance and Accountability
FOR PRESIDENT’S OFFICE PROFESSIONALS
- International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP)
- National Association of Presidential Assistants in Higher Education (NAPAHE)
FOR ALL: MINUTES
MINUTE-TAKING COURSES FOR CONSIDERATION
In 2016, one of our members, Jenny Forestell from New Brunswick Community College, reached out to her GPOP colleagues and asked for ideas and suggestions on minute-taking courses. She is kindly sharing her research here for the benefit of all.
- Grand Prairie Regional College (GPRC) runs a one day Effective Minute Taking course through its continuing education program
- Eli Mina, who has a Minute Taking Online Tutorial ($250), which includes a copy of his book Mina’s Guide to Minute Taking
- Minute Taking Made Easy by Rhonda Scharf – options include Online Training (4-5 hours)
FOR ALL: BOOKS, PUBLICATIONS and ELECTRONIC MEDIA
- http://www.academica.ca/gettopten: This is a free service that sends you a daily email with the top ten PSE stories in Canada. You can also register for an Indigenous Top Ten which is sent out every other Wednesday.
- CICan: Colleges and Institutes Canada
- Exceptional EA
- International Association of Administrative Professionals
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking, Susan Cain
A look at our landmark 2014 AGM in Ottawa, when we adopted by-laws and elected our first Board of Directors …