Click on the links below to subscribe:
HOLD THE DATE: GPOP 2019 ┃May 4-5, 2019 ┃Niagara Falls, ON
We know it may seem like a long way away with the snow flying and the holidays around the corner, but before we know it spring will be here, and so will GPOP 2019!
The format will be slightly different this year, so please take that into consideration when finalizing your travel arrangements:
- Saturday May 4th – 5:00 p.m. GPOP 2019 starts with a welcome reception and keynote presentation (food and refreshments will be available).
- Sunday, May 5th – 7:30 a.m. GPOP 2019 continues with breakfast, followed by a morning of networking, breakout discussions, GPOP Awards, and lunch. We plan to adjourn by 12:30 p.m.
- CICan will open its annual conference at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 5th.
GPOP 2019 will focus on the themes of Inclusion, Balance and Harmony – both professionally and personally. Our keynote, Sharon Thira, will give an interactive presentation on Indigenous culture, history and learning. We are hopeful her talk will provide context, set the tone, and give us a foundation for our further discussions throughout the weekend. By the end of GPOP 2019, we guarantee you will be re-energized and equipped with new and innovative ideas and solutions to bring back to your College.
Updates will be posted on gpop.ca – so watch this space!
pssst…The hotel block is now open… https://conference.collegesinstitutes.ca/travel/. We look forward to seeing you on Saturday, May 4th at GPOP 2019 at the Falls!
GPOP held their first-ever virtual Annual General Meeting on May 31, 2018, expertly chaired by outgoing Board Chair, Jenny Forestell. Members in attendance approved minutes, received committee reports and approved the 2018-2019 Board and Committee structure. They also revised the current By-laws, mainly to expand the membership clause to include people who report or work directly with the chief executive officer (CEO) or Vice President, who has a Board support function, of any Canadian college, institution, cégep, university, or other organization specifically in the Canadian post-secondary education sector. This change makes the membership criteria less restrictive and will contribute to a more diverse and inclusive membership. The signed and approved 2018 By-laws are now available on the GPOP website. Our collective thanks and appreciation to Jenny for her strong leadership over the past two years and a warm welcome to Nicole Blanchette who now steps into the Board Chair role.
Attendees at last week’s GPOP conference were treated to an excellent presentation on post-secondary governance. Natasha Himer, governance lawyer with WATSON Inc. spoke about Keeping Pace with Evolving Governance Standards: Exploring Changes in Post-Secondary Governance and the Relevance for CICan Members. Natasha generously shared her time and extensive knowledge of emerging governance issues with the group and kindly agreed to share her PowerPoint presentation for the benefit of all our members. You’ll find it on the gpop.ca website under Resources/Presentations.
We look forward to seeing you in Victoria for the CICan:GPOP Conference! Getting away from the office to attend a conference is often difficult, but rewarding. Whether you are only attending the GPOP session, or the entire CICan Conference, we have some suggestions that might help you enjoy your trip.
Before you Leave …
- Bring an umbrella
- Remember chargers for all your electronic devices
- When you think of it – pack it
- Slip extra business cards in your bag
- Water your plants (no one is going to remember to do that for you)
- Set your Out of Office, Voicemail, etc.
- Leave your hotel, flight and other details with your colleagues
- Take time to review the conference agenda:
Once you are in Victoria ….
- Arriving by air? It will take you approximately 30 mins to get into the city. Click this link for taxi and shuttle information: http://www.victoriaairport.com/taxi-and-shuttle
- Looking for local information? The Camosun College organizing committee has put together some helpful information at the following link: http://camosun.ca.libguides.com/Cican2018
- What to wear? Bring business clothes for the GPOP and CICan conference sessions, business casual for the GPOP and CICan opening reception, and if you are attending the CICan closing gala, the dress code is “Elegantly Relaxed”.
- Relax, learn, connect, enjoy!
A recent query from a member generated many different responses from GPOP colleagues. She had been asked by her Board Chair to inquire about the practices other Colleges may have adopted regarding acknowledgement of traditional territories at the beginning of Board meetings. Click here for a summary of responses. Thanks to Jenny Forestell (NBCC) and Lisa McIntyre (Fanshawe) for their work in compiling this information.