Welcome to GPOP! 2020 marks our association’s 25th anniversary, which we will celebrate at our May 2-3 conference in Montreal.
In 2015, we celebrated our 20th anniversary with the establishment of a Board of Directors, adoption of by-laws, and the launch of our new name and logo. GPOP is the short and snappy version of our formal name, CICan:GPOP|PGBDG. We are a network of individuals contributing to Canadian post-secondary institutions as board professionals and/or as president’s assistants.
We are an independent, national body, with membership that is currently primarily English speaking. As we continually welcome peers who serve as the right hand of their respective board or CEO within any public Canadian college, institution, cégep, university or other organization within the Canadian post-secondary education sector, we ratified our name change in both English and French. In launching our new name, we also proudly reflect our alignment with CICan, Colleges and Institutes Canada.
Formally, we are CICan:Governance and President’s Office Professionals(GPOP) or, in French, Professionnels de la gouvernance et des bureaux des directeurs généraux de CICan (PGBDG) . If you qualify for membership and would like to learn more, check out the drop down menus under the ‘About’ tab.
1995 – 2015
We appreciate all members who have contributed to GPOP’s evolution over the past 25 years, and particularly applaud our founders: Margo Baptista (March), Cathy Check, Marilyn Halsall, Glenys Lafrance, Pat Maertz, Jennifer Tribula and Wendy Wait. See below for a look at some of the milestones in our 25 years to date.
- 1995: A small group of counterparts founded the Professional Board Staff Network (PBSN) as a peer network and professional development body for people contributing in governance capacities to Canadian colleges; members held an inaugural network meeting in Victoria, BC.
- 1996 – 2008: Annual meetings, held during Association of Canadian Community Colleges (now CICan; Colleges and Institutes Canada) conferences, focused on board professionals’ role in presidential searches and evaluation, board recruitment, orientation and communications, best use of technologies, and more.
- 2009: The association worked with ACCC to reach out to counterparts across the country in creating a national contact email list that evolved into a renewed listserv. If a member is facing a challenge, s/he knows members will respond with professionalism and goodwill. Members reach out to one another in confidence that their queries on best practices, professional development and sticky issues will receive thoughtful consideration and timely responses that support the individual and her or his institution.
- 2010: The association marked its 15th anniversary with its first appearance on ACCC’s annual conference programme; our concurrent session featured an interactive panel and drew an audience that extended beyond PBSN membership.
- 2011: We became the PBSN/PNPA, in recognition that the association’s annual meetings and listserv increasinglyreflected the world of board professionals and that of EAs and managers who are directly responsible to their institutions’ CEOs. The PNPA extension? Professional Network of Presidents’ Assistants.
- 2014: The association launched this website and, during its Ottawa AGM, elected its first Board of Directors and established by-laws. Members identified the need to develop a new name and, through electronic voting in December 2014, ratified the association’s new name, CICan:GPOP|PGBDG.
- 2020: GPOP celebrates it’s 25th anniversary.